Friday, January 18, 2008

I think it's so interesting how clothes can alter the way one feels about themselves. I have found that wearing certain items of clothing can drastically change my mood for the day. No one can disguise their mood better than I! Wonder Woman has met her match!

For instance, take my black stilletos and black dress pants when paired with a snappy top instantly declares: watch out world, here she comes! ...nevermind the baby spit-up stain on the collar. Or when I'm feeling very "Mommy-ish" I wear my ultra comfy, horribly dirty, Ugg boots styled with slouchy jeans and a basic tee. Nothing says "I'm a devoted mother and spend so much time with my kids that I can't spare a minute to dress myself properly" like a pair of funky, awkardly shaped boots.

There is also Church Girl who is careful that her hemline is long enough, blouse is high enough, bra is tucked in at the shoulders.. and of course, the "practical" shoes replace the stilletos. God doesn't need you to be another four inches taller in order to worship Him. Actually, this is a reason why I love God. You could wear Jelly sandals, tapered jeans, and a tie-dyed tee shirt fashioned at the side of your waist with a clip and he wouldn't care. Nope, not God. He doesn't worry about your fashion sense.

And let's not forget the most important part of being a woman, the value of accessorizing what's underneath these clothes. The woman on the outside may be "Career Snappy" but under it all she could be wearing Grandma panties due to laundry day. There's "Church Girl" sporting her lacy thong, and what about those women who bend over and flash so much panty that the entire cast of Friends could sign what's sticking up past her belt line. Then you horrifyingly begin to wonder just where does it all go when she stands back up?

This is why I love clothes! It's like dress-up for grown-ups! Oh, and the makeup! The perfumes! The body creams! The endless persona's continue. And now "Casual Girl" in her comfy sweats and zipped up sweatshirt is heading off to bed to dream of what will become her tomorrow....

1 comment:

Karen said...

That was a great read. You really have a gift.