Tuesday, February 12, 2008

So yesterday we were headed to my sister's house for the whole day! I wanted to leave early enough to have the entire day to spend with her, so I told my boys we'd be leaving first thing! Well, they were ready to go at about 7:45. I said, "let's give them a chance to wake up".

An hour or so later I was headed out to the car to load my things and I instructed the boys to each grab a toy to take along with them. I grabbed all three of our jackets, plus each of their blankets, my bag, a sippy and the keys. Then Ben started to hand me his toy for the car: an enormous bright orange garbage truck, half the size of him! I asked him if he'd rather bring a small car or motorcycle, or a book. "No! That!" He declared, thrusting his pointer finger at it. So up it went on top of my pile. Then Jake decided he wanted to bring his Leapster and two different games. He tried handing it to me and I said, "really, Son, I couldn't possibly hold another item." But apparently his arms were broken and he began a long drawn-out version of "Killing Me Softly".... so up the Leapster went to the top of the pile, precariously perched on the hood of the garbage truck.

Jake opened the door and out we all went. Then of course my keys fell (why wouldn't they?) so I committed the most brilliant balancing act known to mankind in hopes of picking them up without dropping everything in my hands. Picture an elephant on a tight-rope. By a miracle only God could produce I got the car door open and the stuff piled in.

As we were getting everyone situated in the car, each to his own carseat, Ben decided he wanted the garbage truck on the seat right next to him. "Wouldn't you like to put it on the floor under your feet?" I excitedly asked him! "No! Seat." he replied. So up on the seat it went, taking up the entire middle section; Ben happily patted the top of it, content as could be. Great, one down, one to go. I look over at Jake and he's already buckled and started his Leapster. Smooth sailing, I think!

Something's missing... I thought. Purse: check. Kids: check. PJ's for later: check. Keys: gone. I looked all throughout the car and glanced out my window to see my husband standing there dangling them from his fingers, smirking. I got out and retreived them saying, "You could've helped, you know." He replied, "I needed a good laugh this morning." Glad I can boost someone's day.

No comments: