Friday, June 27, 2008

Shopping

I love to shop. It's very enjoyable to me, theraputic if you will... but not when I'm listening to this:
"Are we done yet?"
"Can I get that?"
"I want one!"
"I want a snack!"
"Can we go now?"
"I have to pee!"

I had like a million errands to run today and my lovely children got dragged around with me. Before I left on my adventure I was explaining my errands over the phone to my sister-in-law, and one errand in particular caught her attention: I explained that I needed to buy a new bra, and how much I was looking forward to it with my two children in tow! She then asked what I planned on doing with Jake (my 5 year old) while I was stripping down to my all-together and trying bras on.

I had to think about this for a minute... I no longer change in front of him at home, but the thought about not being able to easily change in a dressing room while the kids played at my feet never occured to me before. It was a valid point: when does it become inappropriate for my son to see me naked? When does it cross the line? I reached the conclusion that when he became old enough to start asking questions and pointing and staring (around the age of 4), that that was the end of it.

So my solution to the problem? "Close your eyes and cover them with your hands, please!" It worked like a charm. He thought it was a fun game, and I hurriedly rushed through bra after bra trying to make a snap decision, constantly in fear that he would unexpectedly open his eyes and gain a "peep show". I quickly snapped it in front, whirled it around, adjusted the girls, bent and shook, stood and removed. Over and over, through about 6 bras.

I ended up buying one... I think it fit... I think it's the right size... thanks to Mervyn's sales it was only $15, but more importantly the only skin I think Jake saw was the palms of his hands.

No comments: