Thursday, July 24, 2008

Star Wars tee

The other day I was at Target (yes I know, another blog about Target... I swear, my life only exists at Target or Costco) ...and I found this really great, vintage-style Star Wars tee in Ben's size. I snapped it up because it was on clearance for $4.88! I looked for a size that would fit Jake (he wears a 4/5 or a 5t if it's big). I thought, "there's no way I can come home with this for Ben and not have something for Jake..." God help me, I looked. I even looked for my nephews who are all similarly Star Wars obsessed, but I struck out. There was an abundance of 2t and 3t's. I ended up getting Jake some diving sticks for the pool and thought maybe if he got something, anything, he wouldn't care so much about the tee. One would think that this was a good plan...

One would be WRONG! I handed the tee to Ben and of course he by-passes Daddy and me immediately and beelines for Jake, waving his treasure in the air. Jake was crushed, and no matter how earnestly I tried to describe my searching adventure, it didn't matter. And I know kids are allowed to feel disappointed but this was really hard to watch. It made my heart hurt a little.

A couple of days later after the kids were asleep, I headed back to Target (I know, I know) and that's were I saw it: a new Lego Star Wars printed screen tee in the boys section. Luckily they had Jake's size, so I grabbed one up and headed for home. I went into his room and kissed his sweaty, sleeping face, and then laid the new shirt on the carpet at the end of his bed where he would be sure to find it in the morning.

The next morning Hubby graciously let me sleep in (he is good for something, apparently) and when I awoke I found Jake playing xbox and wearing his new shirt. "Wow! Look at that!" I exclaimed. He nodded. I asked what he thought of it and he said it was cool. I then asked about what happened when he first saw it and he told me this (almost verbatem):

"Well, I woke up and when I got off my bed it was still early and I wasn't supposed to be up but I saw this shirt and I was like, 'what!', so then I said to myself, 'I don't know where it came from but I'm putting this bad boy on!' and then I got dressed because I was so excited to wear it and then I got back into bed until Daddy came in."

(Yes, he speaks in one run-on sentence after another.) I'm just glad he's happy with it!

3 comments:

Gabensysmom said...

LOL, did he smack his lips when he was telling you too? So funny, sounds just like him :)

benjiboo said...

LOL, no but his eyes got big and wide and he had his hands in the air, like in a "can you believe this" kind of pose.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip!