Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ever since I worked at KinderCare, I've never been able to quite "shake" that teacher-ness about me. I still cut out pictures from a magazine for my kids to glue on paper, and I still save nut cans, coffee cans, basically any can with a plastic lid... and make my own "shape sorters" or "mailboxes" for them to enjoy. We still do an art project (or two or three) just about every day, and my son absolutely LIVES for these pre-school paper packets that I continually put together for him to "do his homework". This is, I'm sure, the only time in his life that he'll think "homework" is enjoyable.

Last week was a slow week for us, no big outtings or adventures planned, so I did some creative thinking and got out my big binder of children's activities (literally, it's a black spiral binder stuffed with art project ideas, songs, games, etc... and when I pull it out my kids act like Santa dropped by for a visit). I came up with "Sticky Floor" for the kids to experiment with. I used to do this when Jake was younger but it's been awhile. You take contact paper, roll it out sticky side up and then tape it to a hard surface. It works better on a hard floor, or even outside, then on carpet. If you don't have tape, then cut off pieces of the contact paper to "tape" it down.

My kids thought it looked really exciting! Jake was so anxious to try it, he literally dove head first into it (see photo below) and then started laughing hysterically because he was "glued down" as he cried out.
The next time he tried it a little more cautiously and then lost his balance (see flailing arms) and began to fall, landing again, all fours down. It was hilarious to watch!
Ben on the other hand did NOT enjoy this. I'm sure it didn't help that Jake had previously flew on top of it and remained "glued down" in a fit of giggles until I came to rescue him. It also didn't help that Jake was screaming "it's got my toes and won't let go!" So Ben ventured one foot only (see photo). He stayed like that for about 5 min. before I told him to "step off" if he didn't want to walk across.

Oh, it was hilarious to watch, and Jake enjoyed it for several hours. Ben decided he wanted nothing to do with it and would very carefully walk around it, seriously like two feet away from it, to pass by.

3 comments:

Gabensysmom said...

J is the only boy I know that was "made" for school :). He will do great next year. Great entry, super mom!

benjiboo said...

He'll be the nerd in school. Now super mom needs to iron her cape...

Anonymous said...

I love it! Now I've just got to find my contact paper!