Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The other day my hubby got word that his High School reunion of fifteen years would be the 1st of August. Terrific. I have exactly 4 months and 8 days to lose weight... and not just a couple of pounds that can be saved by laying of the soda for a couple of weeks. No no, I mean a good fifteen pounds or so. I'm almost 7 years younger than my hubby, so to show up at his reunion 7 years younger than the other woman is a big plus... but not if they're thinking, "look at that balding man with his chubby little sister... was he in our class??" No, this is not the image I look forward to presenting.

Hubby joked "Do I have time to start Rogaine?" haha... Don't tell him, but I checked out some boxes in the supermarket on this hair stuff, and I didn't think they'd kick in in time. I just told him, "You're tall. Just stand up straight and try not to bend over. Maybe no one will notice." As it is with us, I have to stand on a step-stool to kiss him goodnight, let alone notice his receding hair line. He's so tall he usually yells down to the children instead of talking. He also notices the rain before the rest of us, too. Oh, I could go on... but I have much bigger problems to face than his hair-loss fiasco.

First, how to lose the weight? I'd like to post a shout-out to a lovely woman named Karen who is always coming up with delicious recipes that are healthy, low-fat and look absolutely delicious. This is a woman who wakes up in the wee hours of the morning to bake earth-friendly cupcakes. Not just regular Betty Crocker packaged cupcakes, but from scratch, organic, good for the environment, eat the dirt from your backyard, cupcakes. When I wake up early in the morning, my first decision is powdered or chocolate (donuts). Maybe I need to start here: establishing a low fat, low calorie diet that will enable me to eat the foods I enjoy and still lose weight.

Secondly, should I... exercise?? AUGHH! It's a frightening phrase to spit out of my mouth. I had to take a sip of water before I could continue with this thought. I am a horrible exerciser... shall we revisit the dreaded running spectacle. *shudders* Okay, I have some videos I can work out to, but it's really hard when I'm trying to "Walk with Leslie Sansone" and my two-year-old drops my weights on my feet then runs in-between my legs while I'm kicking. Note to self: while it's good that legs are getting kicked high enough in the air for a small child to pass underneath, it's not good that I'm landing on Darth Vador's light saber and tripping over my own weights. I need to start working out in the evening when the children are asleep (or pretending to lay in their beds).

Third, what do I wear? I'll need new makeup, new shoes (ooh, a pedicure for sure), new underwear (don't ask... there was an incident involving some Crayola brand sissors and a marker and my bra...) and of course, a dress. What does one wear to a fifteen year reunion when one is 7 years younger than everyone else? I need to look pretty, and elegant... young, but not like I'm 18. Is this the event for a cocktail dress? Would a long gown be appropriate? Jeans with heels? Oh, help!

For the next 4 months and 8 days I'll be worrying about everything I eat, if I'm getting enough exercise (someone told me chasing an ice cream truck down the street at the requests of my children doesn't count), if I be able to find something to wear (and I'll have to lose some pounds before I can begin looking and trying on), will Hubby's hair line stop receding... oh the drama. I think I need a cookie to calm myself down... and maybe a soda to wash down the cookie.

2 comments:

Gabensysmom said...

LOL, perfect :). And you both are braver than I who would NEVER attempt to go to my high school reunion!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! With your sense of humor you'll be fine! It doesn't hurt to stop in at Nordstrom...