Monday, April 14, 2008

This week at my son's preschool the theme is "Royalty Week", and the kids have the option of dressing up in character. Today Jake went as a Knight, with his shield and green cape (don't get me started on the drama of him not being able to bring the matching sword). And when I picked him up, what do I hear, "Mom on the next day (Wed.) I want to be a King! I need a big flowey cape because King's don't wear small capes like this one." I'll give him that... his green cape is one I sewed for him when he was two and it barely reaches past his hips.

So as soon as we arrived home I got out my sewing basket to observe my scraps. I had soft cotton blue-and-white pinstripes and blue cotton with light yellow stars. "I can make the cape from this (gesturing to the blue-and-white stripes) and I can make the tie-straps out of the stars..." Jake thinks about it for a minute and slowly nods his head. "Yes. Yes, I think that will be fine. I'll also need a crown I think, otherwise they won't know I'm a King..." I'm thrilled to please you Your Majesty, I want to mutter but stifle in protest...

So feeling like Cinderella's twin, I get out my needle and thread and get to work. I never did get around to making a crown. His Majesty was pleased:

I asked him to model as a King and this is what I got...
In this picutre one of his Royal Subjects is looking on as he's being "dashing"...
And in this picture, the Royal Subject is stealing the King's thunder with his cheeky grin.
I see you've noticed the shield is back in the last picture... well, he decided after all to be a Knight... again. At first he was going to be a King with a shield and so I had to explain the roles of a Knight and a King: usually the Knight carries the shield and is a protector of the King, and the King sits on his throne and gives orders. After much consideration, apparently both options sounded appealing, he chose to be a Knight again. I told him this was the last cape I was making, and if he chose to be a Knight again on Friday he'd have to choose from one of the capes we already had... he replied, "We'll just wait and see Mom. I'll think about it." I just rolled my eyes.

1 comment:

Gabensysmom said...

LOL, great job, mom. I like the "stealing his thunder" bit :).